Saturday, September 21, 2013

September 18--Day 73


Since I still don't have textbooks, I've been making things up as I go. This week, we talked about popular American food (with a picture powerpoint and everything. Now, granted, I don't have a powerpoint machine in any of my classrooms, so I had to walk around the room holding my laptop, but it worked...). I wish I could have captured their reactions to all these foreign foods. Pasta, lasagna, meatloaf, enchiladas, mac n cheese. But the best was teaching them about American Chinese food. Oh, the faces they made! So many times I said, "Wait! You guys don't know what this is? But you are Chinese!" Fortune cookies were definitely the biggest mystery. I wish I could have captured the puzzled, frantic, hopelessly bewildered looks on their faces. This shot I managed to snap is far from the best I'm-really-trying-to-figure-out-what-this-Chinese-food-is-because-it's-so-embarrassing-to-not-recognize-my-own-food-in-front-of-the-foreigner look I saw this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment