Thursday, August 8, 2013

August 1--Day 25



China night! One of my favorite nights of the workshop. Tonight, we gave the students the reins. It's their opportunity to play teacher and tell us about Chinese culture. Now, I could give the lecture myself, honestly, but it's always fun to hear their take on the different aspects of their culture. The story of the Nian beast is always my favorite. In ancient times, a great beast would come down from the mountains each night to eat the children in the village. The villagers did everything they could to get rid of the beast, but they ended up just cowering in fear each night, hoping it would not be their son who would be taken. Deliverance came when they discovered the beast was scared of the color red. So, to protect their children's lives, they put red on the top and either side of the door frame. With the red streaks around their doors, their children were saved. Sound familiar?

P.S. I'm glad to be an American. I was talking with a few students about traveling. Just joking around, I told them we should go to Europe. Let's go! Of course, I can do that if I please, but it's incredibly hard for them to get their government to allow them to do such a thing. Blessed to be an American.

P.S.S. This is how much food Terrance eats each meal. All three of us girls ate our fill, and this was what was leftover. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment