Sunday, October 6, 2013

October 2--Day 87













Today I: Was almost run over. Was almost arrested. Fought with ninjas.
     Today's a little more interesting if you leave out some key details... Let's add those back in...
Today was the day! Electric bikes! Finally! Buying an electric bike here is like buying a car. My first car. Ain't she a beaut? Even though Leo was sick, he and Carol came to help us out. And after looking through the seas of bikes, we found the perfect ones. Direct answer to prayer. Better than I thought we'd ever find. Driving in China though... As if I needed to add more adventure to my life. I'm thinking it'll either be good for me or bad for me back in America. Good: I'll be able to handle anything that good old calm, civilized American driving can throw at me. Bad: I'll end up thinking I can do whatever I want on said calm, civilized streets. Some car definitely tried to pretend I didn't exist and tried to run me off the road. Yeah... who needs rules? Haha
     Then it was off to Evergreen Park for Lydia's birthday party! We wandered around the park with a group of Matt's students for a few hours, then started to set off Chinese lanterns. It was great. All those who had seen Tangled were filled with romantic thoughts and warm, fuzzy feelings. (I was busy crossing off #25 of my bucketlist...) We were happy, laughing, enjoying life until an overzealous security guard burst out of the forest, stomping the life and light out of our little lanterns. Apparently planes fly over Evergreen Park. But, then, don't they fly over every part of Haikou? Sigh. Another time, another place. And what birthday party, or any gathering with the Chinese is complete without a game of Ninja? Ended the night with a beautiful reminder of my beautiful country and a look into an oriental convenience store! In China! Who knew? Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment